How to Clean Cork Floors? Cork flooring offers an amazing look, is soft on the feet, feels cool in the summer and warm in winter and it is also environmentally friendly. Cork flooring is actually easy to clean but it needs special maintenance so that it is always looking its best. The cleaning process you should use depends on whether the cork floor is sealed or not. Cork is a porous material that can quickly absorb any moisture and chemical cleaners if it is not properly sealed. Therefore if cork floor is sealed, it is able to endure more moisture or chemical cleaners and is not becoming damaged, while cork floor that is not sealed is harder to maintain. With a good care, your cork floor will last a long time. Follow these tips:
How to Clean a Cork Floor; Harsh Cleaners Is A No-No
You may think that you need some specialized cleaners to clean your cork floor or have to try to clean it with cleaners that need to be waxed or polished. Never use harsh cleaners! What you need is only a regular sweeping and or vacuuming the cork floor on bare floor setting. Depending on if you have children and / or pets, you can clean cork floor daily or every few days; that is enough to keep debris from scratching the cork floor.
How to Clean a Cork Floor? Since cork flooring is good in hiding dirt, you need regular sweeping and / or vacuuming and not using damp mopping very often. Clean the cork floor by damp mopping only once a week; mix a bucket of water with a ¼ cup of vinegar to add a nice shine on cork floors. Soak a microfiber cloth in the solution and then wring it out to damp mop and clean the cork floor. As an alternative, you can also use mixture of warm water and a small amount of vinegar, put the solution in a spray bottle and spray the cork floor and then mop. However if you need to damp mop your cork floor more often due to pets or muddy weather, just use plain water.
How to Clean a Cork Floor; The Dos And Don’ts
To keep the cork floors clean, all you need is only regular sweeping and vacuuming. However there are some preventive things you should know to keep cork flooring tidy, intact and stable.
- Sweep and or vacuum cork floors regularly to prevent abrasion
- Wipe away spills immediately
- To clean heavy stains or spills, use recommended cork floor cleaners only
- To prevent dirt, grit and sand for being trapped onto the floor, place door mats at the entrances, mats around working areas in the kitchen such as stove and sink area to prevent moisture infiltration and wear as a result of excess usage of cork floor.
- Don’t wet mop your cork floors or flood the floor while cleaning
- Don’t allow any liquid to stand on cork floors.
- Don’t use cleaning products that contain abrasive soaps, waxes, oils or ammonia
Now, as you have learned the safest way on How to Clean a Cork Floor, you are ready to do it and have a nice look of your cork floor.